You are here: Home Page - GPWAbout usHistory

History

Polish capital market traditions go back to 1817, when the Warsaw Mercantile Exchange was established. Following the overthrow of Poland's former communist regime in 1989, WSE was created as a joint-stock company on April 12, 1991 by the State Treasury pursuant to the Foundation Act for Giełda Papierów Wartościowych w Warszawie SA (The Warsaw Stock Exchange Company).

WSE was organized from its inception as a modern stock exchange, supported by electronic trading and dematerialized registration of securities, laying a foundation for ongoing development. WSE held its first trading session on April 16, 1991 with five listed companies, all of which were formerly State-owned companies that had been privatized.

In 1999, Poland reformed its pension system, which contributed to an increase in domestic institutional investment, and in 2004 it joined the EU. These developments helped to boost trading volume in subsequent years.

In recent years, WSE has become one of Europe's most dynamic IPO markets with 471 companies, including 51 foreign companies, listed on its Main Market, and 431 companies listed on NewConnect as at December 31, 2014. In addition, WSE's derivatives trading platform has grown to become the largest in CEE.

See also

  • Join us
  • Twitter
  • Newsletter GPW
  • RSS
  • Mobile version
  • Google Play
  • Apple Store
  • GPW Media